With a dash of local tonic!
The 11th April saw a lively group of WITH Tas members and guests gather at Cool Wine in Criterion Street and begin the evening sipping on a delicious Chartley Lavinia sparkling while catching up with industry colleagues.
Just before delving further into the world of wine, we were introduced to a new locally made product from the Tasmanian Tonic Company. Inspired by the fabulous range of gins now being produced throughout the state, Dina Gregson decided they deserved a tonic that complemented their flavours rather than one that masked them with sweetness. The new tonic comes in four floral flavours: Mediterranean, Bushfire, Leatherwood and Pepper Berry (see link below for more information) and added to the
Tim Goddard, with help from Monica and Greg, then started our tasting in earnest, noting that all the Tasmanian wines on this night aptly had a woman behind them as growers, winemakers and viticulturists. Tasmania especially can be proud of its women in wine as they are recognised as amongst the best in the country.
These are the wines, and their women:
- Chartley Lavinia Sparkling – Loraine Kossman is proprietor of Chartley Estate at Rowella, in the Tamar Valley.
- 2018 Stargazer Tupelo – Winemaker Samantha Connew has created a delicious blend of riesling, Gewürztraminer and pinot gris.
- 2017 Delamere Chardonnay – Fran Austin is co-owner and winemaker for this Tamar Valley vineyard.
- 2017 Santa Cristina Rosato – from Tuscany in Italy, a rosé made from sangiovese.
- 2017 Laurel Bank Pinot Noir (just released!) – Greer Garland is the winemaker and daughter of the vineyards owners. She also has her own wine label, Quiet Mutiny.
- 2015 Conde Valdamar Rioja Spain (tempranillo) – Tim was introduced to this wine by the Conde Sales Manager (a woman!) who traveled all the way from Spain to Hobart to showcase the wines.
Thanks to Tim, Monica and Greg for showing us what an amazing wine range Cool Wine has on offer (the beer range is also excellent). Those who had been unaware of this specialist wine shop and its fantastic curated range of Tasmanian, Australian and international wines, beers, ciders and spirits - are now some likely new customers!
Cool Wine (Criterion Street)
Laurel Bank Wines and Quiet Mutiny